Ben Guest Assignment: Go and do something that has nothing to do with school and then write about it.
This past Saturday, Emily and I went to the circus over at the FedEx Forum in Memphis, TN, and it wasn't just any circus; it was the circus. Too be more precise, it was actually a smaller derivative of the circus, but it was still great nonetheless. You see, I'm actually quite particular about my circus experience, and I refuse to go to anything other than a Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey production. The small scale circus that toured through Memphis wasn't the three-ring extravaganza my dad used to take me and my brother to every year at Madison Square Garden, but it did the job just fine.
We enjoyed the usual entertainments one tends to see while at the circus, and avoided the overpriced cotton candy. The latter was actually somewhat difficult given the fact that purchase of said circus fare came with a wizard hat, but nevertheless, we prevailed in not trading a paycheck for a small tuft of spun sugar. We watched tigers jump through hoops, tight rope walkers perform daring feats, and clowns fall short of being funny. I think what it comes down to is that I'm better suited to be an astonished eight-year-old child than a grumpy twenty-two-year-old teacher.
At one point I was asked if I wanted a plush monkey wearing a silly hat. I lied and said no. Do I regret my decision? Yes, more so than I'm willing to admit at this point in time. Really though, I'm sure I'll be better off in the end; as one so often hears, "There's always another monkey."
Immediately after the circus had concluded, we grabbed some dinner on Beale Street; excessively extravagant entertainment has a way of working up an appetite. I almost never feel like this, but having to order catfish in a city famous for barbecue had me really questioning my commitment to being a vegetarian. Don't get me wrong; I love meat, but partly out of habit and partly out of feeling some sort of moral obligation, I just choose to abstain from the consumption of it. However, one day I'm going to devour a pound of bacon, and I may or may not feel guilty about it afterwards, but I know for a fact I'm going to enjoy it while eating it.
No comments:
Post a Comment