Blog Post: Write a letter to the outgoing second-years. This can be a letter to the entire group, several people, or just one individual.
The school year has come and gone quicker than I ever could have predicted, and I think a good part of that time having flown by so quickly is due to having had such amazing second-years to help ease us into and through the experience. As I have evolved as a teacher, so to has our relationship. I can vividly recall coming to you for resources, advice, and ideas throughout the entire summer and at the early part of the school year. As time went on, I began coming to you less for your teaching knowledge, and more for your support in the form of friendship.
Some of my fondest memories of my first year have taken place over tacos and burritos at Cafe Ole, our weekly Mexican hangout. I've thoroughly enjoyed being able to go to a place where the employees not only know who we are, but even know our order. I count myself very lucky to have been placed at a school with such a strong Teacher Corps presence, and to have been able to talk about our problems, successes, and children with so many like minded people going through the same exact situation in the same exact school.
I'm thankful that I ended up with a really great mentor, my first choice actually. She didn't do a whole lot of mentoring in the traditional sense of mentoring, but not because she wasn't willing or capable; I guess I just didn't have a whole lot to complain about. Lunches with her proved invaluable though in a different way. I looked forward to those lunches each weekend that we had class; they were a welcomed break from the typical monotony, and rather than focusing on issues involving school, those lunches were always more about catching up and have a good conversation.
Seeing so many of the second-years I'm closest with leaving brings about a lot of bittersweet feelings, but given this line of work I completely understand. It's great to see you all moving on to bigger and better things, and one couldn't even begin to argue that you haven't earned it. Thanks for all that you've done for us, and I wish you the best of luck. Hopefully I'll be able to step up to the plate, and be to the incoming class what you were for us.
No comments:
Post a Comment