Sunday, August 22, 2010

Tactics of questionable legality

Our principal and our school are currently under investigation. A police dog was brought in to perform random drug searches, which in turn led to an entire class being strip searched. Mind you, it wasn't a complete, full on strip search, but it was definitely enough to cause a bit of a stir. Several people are obviously upset about what has occurred, but is this one of those cases where the ends justify the means?

I'm not exactly sure where I stand on the issue. On the one hand, a class-wide strip search is truly an extreme measure to take, quite possibly to the point of being illegal, but on the other hand, I really doubt that there are any students still thinking about bringing their drugs to school after that. Whether it was legal or not, it was a very clear intrusion on the rights of the students, and the general fear in a situation like this is always that once you let someone overstep their bounds, the likelihood of them doing so again may greatly increase. However, the general consensus among the teachers is that despite the severity, the resolute actions of our principal will pay off in the end. As I said before, I'm not sure whether or not I support the actions our principal has taken in this case, but I do know that he has already made a lot of really positive changes in his short time at our school and that if it should come to it, his resignation would be very detrimental to North Panola.

Read and post comments

No comments:

Post a Comment