Thursday, February 2, 2012

And so the end draws ever nearer

Ben Guest Assignment: Write about what you plan to accomplish in your classroom in your final semester in the Mississippi Teacher Corps.

It's pretty wild to think that my time in Teacher Corps has almost come to end. I can so clearly remember my first summer in Mississippi, and already almost two years have past since I first arrived. I've definitely had my ups and downs, but all in all, I feel as though I've been fairly successful in my time at North Panola High School. It certainly wasn't the easiest experience, in fact it was probably the most difficult thing I've ever done, but I feel as though I've had enough of a positive impact that my time here was worthwhile.

With such a short amount of time left it's hard to say what I'm really focusing on in my last few months. I think the thing I would most like to focus on is pushing my students far enough along in their knowledge of biology that our school meets well beyond growth. Last year was the first year of a new biology exam that did not count against our school, and despite the fact that my passing rate was higher than the state average, if the scores had counted, our school would not have made the successful rating that it had achieved for the first time. I know that it's a team effort amongst all of the teachers, but I can't help but dwelling on the fact that if it hadn't been a brand new test, our school wouldn't have been successful thanks to my scores. In my last few months I want to ensure to the best of my ability that my students will be able to perform at their very highest level . Some days can be extremely frustrating, but in the end, the last thing I want is for my exam to be the reason that a child doesn't graduate or that our school doesn't reach the growth we are all striving for.

No comments:

Post a Comment