Ben Guest Assignment: Describe your daily schedule to a college senior who who is interested in MTC and is trying to understand what the day to day experience is like.
Deja vu, the experience of feeling as though you have already witnessed a current situation. That's how I feel about this blog assignment, only I'm not just feeling as though I've done it, I actually have done it before. Nevertheless, it gives me a good opportunity to see how much my daily life has changed over the past year.
My alarm still goes off at 5:00 each morning, and even after more than year of waking up well before the sun comes up, I still can't quiet get used to it. Interestingly enough, I try to get ready as quickly as possible so that I have at least fifteen minutes to catch up on the internet; this to me is far more important than getting a few extra minutes of sleep. After getting ready, eating breakfast, and perusing the internet, I head off to school.
Most things have remained the same about my school day, but the things that have changed have been for the better. Instead of pointlessly attempting to teach an intervention period to students who don't care, this year I have been given the best and the brightest so that I can attempt to push them towards achieving advanced on their Biology I SATP exam. They're a great group of kids, and unlike last year I don't dread intervention period. On top of intervention, I still teaching six periods of biology, but now my planning period is at the very end of the day. I used to think I would hate teaching for seven straight hours, but I find it extremely relieving to know that I'm completely done for the day when the bell at the end of sixth period rings.
This year we have way less staff meetings after school, and none of them involved us being yelled at by an incompetent principal. Instead of staff meetings, I tutor, and I get paid for it. The money's not much, but it is really nice that the school has given us some type of incentive for staying after.
After I leave school I usually end up going to the gym or going out to eat with everyone else who works in the district; it usually ends up being way too much of the latter, and not nearly enough of the former. As the evening activity comes to a close, I make my way home, and I try to get in bed by ten, most days I end up going to sleep before eight. This time last year I was never able to go to bed that early, but now I've gotten efficient enough that I can plan my entire week on Sunday, leaving me free to do whatever comes up during the week or go to bed as early as I want.
In all, life is a lot less monotonous than it was last year. My schedule is still pretty repetitive, but in my second year I'm finding that I'm able to have a lot more fun, both in the classroom and outside of work. I'm not sure what I'll be doing next year, but if I end up leaving, there will definitely be a part of me that misses my time spent in Mississippi.
No comments:
Post a Comment