Ben Guest Assignment: Reflect on the summer training offered by the Mississippi Teacher Corps.
It's hard to believe that tomorrow will be the very last day of summer training, and oh, what a summer it's been. If I may borrow a quote from a friend, "The days seemed like months, and the months seemed like days." Summer training was the longest, most stressful endeavor I have ever undertaken, yet I can't believe how quickly time has elapsed. I can recall moving in the first day so vividly that it's hard to believe it occurred over six weeks ago, but after that, it's all a blur.
There's no denying that summer training prepared me as much as anything else possibly could have for the start of school in August. In Dr. Monroe's class I learned how to write a lesson plan and the importance of classroom management, fundamentals for anyone going into the field of education. A cornucopia of various workshops provided me with all kinds of advice to help the year go smoothly. I now know I'm going to be using a folder system and a paper grade book. I know that I'm going to be overly prepared for the first day of school, meaning all of my rules will be hung up, my syllabus will be printed, and I'll have a huge assortment of time fillers in case of the almost inevitable holding of homeroom. Role plays taught me that there is a small collection of right ways to handle a situation, but more importantly that there are a whole lot of wrong ways to handle a situation. Many of the role plays felt like what I imagine participating in the Kobayashi Maru test must feel like, attempting to complete an unwinnable scenario, but they were definitely one of my favorite parts of summer training. Last, but certainly not least, being forced to stand in front of a classroom, a real trial by fire induction into teaching, provided me with a forum to gain the voice and presence I'll need in the fall.
Summer training has been an incredible experience, but that's not to say it was entirely without its faults. I found some things to be unnecessary and others to be too long, but since all of my concerns have been brought up anonymously in the eight or so dozen surveys we've taken in the past few days, that'll suffice for the purposes of this post. Teacher Corps is a constantly evolving program, and in time, I'm sure all of its kinks will be worked out.
I'm as ready as I'll ever be for what lies ahead. Of course I'm apprehensive about starting school, but summer training got me exactly where I need to be. Uneasiness precedes all new endeavors, but this is the greatest thing I have ever attempted and thus those feelings of trepidation are magnified accordingly. I'm definitely nervous, but I'm way more excited than I am worried; I think that's just about as good as anyone could ever hope for.
Oh Paul, I'm excited that you're excited. I think we'll have an amazing journey at North Panola. I'm glad you're nervous too! You seem to be very confident (who are you trying to be?), so I'm glad you are human! We're going to be a killer addition to the science department!
ReplyDeleteI agree with all of this... I think we're about as prepared as we could possibly be given the length of the program. I'm about equal parts nervous and excited, as well. Shockingly (not really), we have about the same organizational plan for the first few days.
ReplyDeleteI, too, like the Star Trek reference here.
ReplyDeleteHanna baby, as far as I'm concerned we are the science department. Consider that me turning back on the confidence. I wouldn't want all those human emotions to start showing through.
ReplyDeleteAlso, the chickens aren't even my decision anymore. The chickens are strictly prohibited by our lease! Amen!
ReplyDeleteWe've come so far already and grown so much together as a class. There's been so much crap (though it may be important crap) thrown at us that the only thing I can guarantee is that we'll forget some of it. I agree that this summer has helped like nothing else could and I'm glad that we'll be working together in the fall.
ReplyDelete"The days seemed like months, and the months seemed like days."
ReplyDelete