Say what you will, but spending money is usually one of the best ways to have fun. The activity is made all the better if you get to spend money that isn't your own. After planning six lessons over the past two days I really needed a break, but with a to do list stretching over thirty items long and less than a week to get it all done in, I needed an activity that was both relaxing and productive. I figured spending up my Teacher Corps supply stipend would fit that bill perfectly, however, I was very much mistaken.
Four hundred dollars is a lot of money to spend on school supplies, especially if you've never taught before and you have no idea what you actually need for your classroom. Despite this fact, I spent that money like a champion. After two hours in Office Depot and three hours in Wal-Mart, I had managed to spend almost the entirety of my stipend, and completely exhaust myself. I'm just really glad I won't have to do this again for at least another year. Hopefully it will go much smoother though since I'll know what I'm doing and I'll be able to reuse a lot of what I bought this year.
I purchased everything from three prong folders to prizes for my ticket economy, pretty much all the essentials an inexperienced teacher could think of. If you look closely at the top right corner, above the scissors and to the right of the markers, you may see a small steel item that I could very easily see working its way up to becoming my favorite item purchased. As for the small portion of my stipend that remains, I am reserving it for the vessel I deem best suited for storing and carrying my students' folders; suggestions are not only welcomed, they are encouraged.
Mississippi Teacher Corps offers quite a few benefits and incentives. In my opinion, the stipend for supplies is most definitely one of the best ones. I'd go as far as to say that thus far it's probably second only to the free masters degree.

How bout the laptop?
ReplyDeleteOh, damn. How could I forget? I guess the supply stipend is third, but it's definitely up there.
ReplyDeleteStipend > laptop
ReplyDeleteI could see why you would say that since you already had a Mac, but my old Dell was definitely ready to kick the bucket. Thus, laptop > stipend for me.
ReplyDeleteStipend > laptop ≥ Paul's opinion.
ReplyDeleteYou bought a whistle. First, I hope you wear around your neck constantly; the whole coach things goes so far. I also hope you blow it in your classroom when you're laying down the law.
ReplyDeleteLove it!! You def know how to make a dollar stretch! I still have a little more shopping to do, but you have given me some great ideas. Can't wait to see you teach!.
ReplyDeleteI'm more of a slam my clip board kind of guy to call order to the class or to wake a sleeping student. The whistle is a last resort that I haven't had the opportunity or the necessity to use yet.
ReplyDelete