My students already think I'm a freak because I don't eat meat, but they were quick to prevent me from making a huge mealtime faux pas in the cafeteria today. I was about to dig into my rice, the side offered with the chicken I had declined, and before I could even touch the fork to the soggy grains, I was stopped in my tracks. The student sitting next to me kindly informed me that I was doing it all wrong and that "it ain't right without sugar." I asked the class if that was how it was done down here, to which they all enthusiastically responded in the affirmative, several of them even offering me their extra packets of sugar. They were definitely right; despite being a sodden mush, the rice was actually really good. How could it not be though when it was covered in butter and sugar? I'd venture to say that it was probably more desert than meal.
My pal used to have a chicken once. Billowy little bugger
ReplyDeletePAUL!!!!! Great post. Ms. Jones was telling me a very similar encounter she had with her students involving sugar and rice. It sounds like good advice and I'll have to try it sometime. On that note, it's amazing the stuff your students can teach when you're not in class. Lunchtime is such a great opportunity to talk with your students. I've learned so many new words, new foods, and new outlooks on life. woooo
ReplyDeleteWelcome to The South Paul :)
ReplyDeleteIndeed, Paul. This is a great post. It is telling how much you can get out of a simple lunch. I contend the students let you in on something. Seen as the foreign, strange teacher from nowhere near these parts, you had much to do to endear yourself. Surely, they were baffled! "He don't eat meat?" By adding sugar to your rice and accepting their culinary norms, you became a member of the club. Bravo!
ReplyDelete