Friday, July 23, 2010

Time to go whistle shopping

Just a few minutes past eight this morning, I was pulled from sleep by the ringing of my phone. I woke up to Coach Hunter, the former track coach, informing me that I was currently missing a meeting for all of the district coaches and that I should get to the school as soon as I possibly could. One can't help but find the communication system over at North Panola just a little bit lacking.


I had spoken with Coach Hunter earlier, and expressed interest in assisting him with track this year. He was very accepting of the offer, and even proposed starting up a cross country program together. However, Coach Hunter must have taken my willingness to help as his golden opportunity to retire, because when I arrived at the school I was told that I was going to be the head coach of both cross country in the fall and track in the spring.

I foresee this little endeavor being quite a bit of extra work, but it's a challenge I'm really looking forward to. I don't know the first thing about coaching, but running is one thing that I definitely know and there are plenty of books on how to coach. Since I'm starting a brand new program, it's safe to say that I'm going to be coaching the most successful cross country team in North Panola history. Plus, now that I can go by Coach, I no longer have need of going by Captain.

Read and post comments | Send to a friend

No comments:

Post a Comment